Welcome to Stocktake Saturday! This feature is where I share some bookish news with you and then show you all the bookish goodies I got over the week.
The cover reveals from the last week - (links to Goodreads pages)
- Stormbringers (The Order of Darkness #2) by Philippa Gregory – UK edition
- Never Fade (The Darkest Minds #2) by Alexandra Bracken
- Allegiant (Divergent #3) by Veronica Roth – UK cover
- Burn Bright (Dark Star #2) by Bethany Frenette. Expected publication: October 1st 2013 by Disney-Hyperion
- Unchained (Nephilim Rising #1) by J. Lynn (Jennifer L. Armentrout). Expected publication: September 17th 2013 by Entangled: Edge
- Allies (Insignia #1.5) by S.J. Kincaid. Published May 2013 by Katherine Tegen Books
- Would Be Witch (Southern Witch #1) by Kimberly Frost. Expected publication: September 3rd 2013 by Berkley
- Hereafter (Shadowlands #2) by Kate Brian. Expected publication: October 1st 2013 by Disney-Hyperion
- Kinslayer (The Lotus War #2) by Jay Kristoff – UK cover. Expected publication: September 12th 2013 by Tor UK
- Kinslayer (The Lotus War #2) by Jay Kristoff – US cover. Expected publication: September 17th 2013 by Thomas Dunne Books
- All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill. Expected publication: August 1st 2013 by Bloomsbury
- The Weight of Souls by Bryony Pearce. Expected publication: August 6th 2013 by Strange Chemistry
In Bookish News, Dawn Barker, the author of the newly released Fractured, has signed a contract with Hachette Australia for her second novel. She says the book will be a new story, but will explore similar themes to Fractured.
I’ve come across two cool new titles for books I’m waiting for:
- Secret (Elemental #4) by Brigid Kemmerer – Brigid’s actually finished this book, and it’s told from Nick’s point of view and I’m so excited for it!
- Dreams of Gods and Monsters (Daughter of Smoke and Bone #3) by Laini Taylor – placeholder cover on the right.
Laini Taylor held a competition for fan-made book trailers for Daughter of Smoke and Bone, and you can watch the winning entry here.
As you can see above, Never Fade (The Darkest Minds #2) by Alexandra Bracken has an awesome cover. That’s for the US edition, no news on an Australian cover yet. Never Fade won’t be available until October 15th, but Bracken is publishing a bridging e-book (God I am so sick of this trend!). In Time will be available on July 16th. In the mean time, you can read an exclusive excerpt from Never Fade on the EW website.
Finally, Strange Chemistry, the Angry Robot YA imprint, has had an exciting month:
- They signed M. G. Buehrlen in a two-book deal. The first of these two books – The Fifty-Seven Lives of Alex Wayfare – will be published in March 2014, with a second to follow early in 2015. About The Fifty-Seven Lives of Alex Wayfare:
For as long as 17-year-old Alex Wayfare can remember, she has had visions of the past. Visions that make her feel like she’s really on a ship bound for America, living in Jamestown during the Starving Time, or riding the original Ferris wheel at the World’s Fair.
But these brushes with history pull her from her daily life without warning, sometimes leaving her with strange lasting effects and wounds she can’t explain. Trying to excuse away the aftereffects has booked her more time in the principal’s office than in any of her classes and a permanent place at the bottom of the social hierarchy. Alex is desperate to find out what her visions mean and get rid of them.
It isn’t until she meets Porter, a stranger who knows more than should be possible about her, that she learns the truth: Her visions aren’t really visions. Alex is a Descender – capable of traveling back in time by accessing Limbo, the space between Life and Afterlife. Alex is one soul with fifty-six past lives, fifty-six histories.
Fifty-six lifetimes to explore: the prospect is irresistible to Alex, especially when the same mysterious boy with soulful blue eyes keeps showing up in each of them. But the more she descends, the more it becomes apparent that someone doesn’t want Alex to travel again. Ever.
And will stop at nothing to make this life her last.
- They signed Danielle Jensen in a three book deal. The first of the three books is called Stolen Songbird and will be published in early 2014. About Stolen Songbird:
For those who have loved Seraphina and Graceling comes another truly fabulous fantasy …
Trolls are said to love gold. They are said to live underground and hate humans. They are said to be evil. When Cécile de Troyes is kidnapped and sold to the trolls, she finds out that there is truth in the rumours, but there is also so much more to trolls than she could have imagined.
Cécile has only one thing on her mind after she is brought to Trollus, the city she hadn’t even known existed under Forsaken Mountain: escape. But the trolls are inhumanly strong. And fast. She will have to bide her time, wait for the perfect opportunity.
But something strange happens while she’s waiting – she begins to fall in love with the handsome, thoughtful troll prince that she has been bonded and married to. She begins to make friends. And she begins to see that she may be the only hope for the half-bloods – part troll/part human creatures who are slaves to the full-blooded trolls. There is a rebellion brewing. And her prince, Tristan, the future king, is its secret leader.
As Cécile becomes involved in the intricate political games of Trollus, she becomes more than a farmer’s daughter from Goshawk’s Hollow. She becomes a princess, the hope of a people, and a witch.
This week I have been Waiting On … The Tower Broken by Mazarkis Williams.
I also had the Between the Lives blog tour stop by, and Jessica Shirvington shared the songs that inspired the book with us.
My book haul this week is very exciting – a package from Pan Macmillan Australia was filled with goodies (links to Goodreads):
- Mystic (The Soul Seekers #3) by Alyson Noel
- The Silver Bough by Lisa Tuttle
- Gemsigns (Revolution, #1) by Stephanie Saulter
- Goddess (Starcrossed #3) by Josephine Angelini
And e-galleys from NetGalley and Edelweiss:
- A Clockwork Heart (The Chronicles of Light and Shadow #2) by Liesel Schwarz – NetGalley: Random House Publishing Group (Del Ray)
- Steelheart (Reckoners #1) by Brandon Sanderson – NetGalley: Random House Children’s – *squeal*
- The Registry by Shannon Stoker – Edelweiss: William Morrow Books – this is a New Adult Dystopian, I’m very excited to read it!
Last time I was 7 books behind in my Read Three, Buy One scheme. I reviewed the following books this week:
- The Mystery of the Golden Card by Garth Nix & Sean Williams
- Shift by Hugh Howey
- Breathless by Brigid Kemmerer
Which leaves me 4 books behind. I’m slowly getting there
I hope you have some goodies to share as well, leave your links below and I’ll be sure to visit