Happy New Year everyone! I hope your holidays were wonderful! Welcome to Stocktake Saturday! This feature is where I share some bookish news with you and then show you all the bookish goodies I got over the week. First up are the covers that were revealed while we were at the beach (links to Goodreads pages):
- Delirium Stories: Hana, Annabel, and Raven (Delirium 0.5, 1.5, 2.5) by Lauren Oliver
- Steelheart (Steelheart #1) by Brandon Sanderson
- Undone (Unraveling #1.5) by Elizabeth Norris
- The Seven Year King (The Faerie Ring #3) by Kiki Hamilton
- Soul Screamers Vol. 3: If I Die • Never to Sleep • Before I Wake (Soul Screamers #5, 5.5, 6) by Rachel Vincent
In bookish news, Brigid Kemmerer, author the wonderful Elemental series about four brothers who control the elements, has signed on at EntangledTeen to write two more Elemental novels: one centring on Nick and the other on Michael. She will also be writing a third book, which will be the start of a new series. Both Elemental books are as of yet untitled, but we have tentative release dates: January 2014 (Nick) and July 2014 (Michael). To keep us entertained in the meantime, however, Nick’s novella, Breathless, will be released in May 2013 and then Spirit will be available in July. You can also read the synopsis of Breathless here.
In more book signing news, Claudia Gray has signed a contract with HarperTeen to write a new trilogy. The Firebird trilogy will be based on a girl who must pursue a killer through alternate realities where she sees all the radically different lives she might have led. Marguerite is the daughter of two scientists who have developed a way between dimensions, and the man she is hunting is the man she believes has killed her father. The first book will be titled Can’t Get Next to You.
The illustrious George R. R. Martin has released another chapter from Winds of Winter, the sixth book in his epic A Song of Ice and Fire series (which fans of the HBO TV will know as the Game of Thrones series). It is a chapter from the point of view of Arianne Martell and replaces the Theon Greyjoy chapter that was previously released. You can read it here.
I also thought I should share the following list of awesome Fantasy releases for the coming year. There are some real gems being released in the first half of the year, among which are:
- The Mad Scientist’s Daughter by Cassandra Rose Clarke
- The Best of all Possible Worlds by Karen Lord
- Mila 2.0 by Debra Driza
- The Demonologist: A Novel by Andrew Pyper
- Life After Life by Kate Atkinson
- The Tyrant’s Law by Daniel Abraham
- Gods and Monsters: Unclean Spirits by Chuck Wendig
- Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead
- The Fall of Arthur by J.R.R. Tolkien
- The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman
- iD by Madeline Ashby
- The Woken Gods by Gwenda Bond
- Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson
Although this isn’t really bookish news, it grabbed my attention: there is going to be a new vampire related series on TV soon. NBC’s Dracula will join The Vampire Diaries and True Blood on our screens, with the new show being produced by the same company as Downton Abbey and starring none other than Jonathan Rhys Meyers, of The Tudors and City of Bones fame.
The blog in 2013 has had a few changes: you can see my goals for the 2013 Debut Author Challenge and the Australian Women Writers Reading Challenge (permanent links to these pages are on the topmost menu of the blog) and I started another review archive for 2013 (I figured it would get pretty unwieldy if I had them all together, and the blog is searchable anyway).
Excitingly, I am one of the editors/curators for the AWW2013, which means I will be helping keep track of the reviews for the challenge, and posting monthly highlight posts for the YA Speculative Fiction titles reviewed by the participants. My very first post, a wrap-up of the 2012 challenge, can be read now on the official website. Make sure you stop by, and consider signing up to this awesome reading challenge.
My first Waiting On … Wednesday pick for 2013 is Hidden by Marianne Curley. I received the following books for review over the break (links to Goodreads pages):
- Under The Never Sky (Under the Never Sky #1) by Veronica Rossi
- Through the Ever Night (Under the Never Sky #2) by Veronica Rossi
- Undeadly (The Reaper Diaries #1) by Michele Vail
- Indigo Awakening (The Hunted #1) by Jordan Dane
- Unravel Me (The Juliette Chronicles #2) by Tahereh Mafi
- When We Wake by Karen Healey
- The Prey by Andrew Fukuda
Last time I was 11 books ahead in my Read Three, Buy One scheme, with three unlocked purchases. I bought one book over the break: Between the Lines by Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer
And reviewed the following books this week:
- Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson
- The Spider Goddess by Tara Moss
- The Vincent Boys by Abbi Glines
- Opal by Jennifer L. Armentrout
- Red Country by Joe Abercrombie
This leaves me 13 books ahead with the book buying quota, and with 4 book purchases unlocked!!
I hope you have some goodies to share as well, leave your links below and I’ll be sure to visit